Subject: Invitation to the Regional EJN Contact point meeting
From: Dace Mālniece <[email-masked]>
To: Julia Deržilo, <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]", <[email-masked]>
Cc: Jūlija Muraru-Kļučica <[email-masked]>, "Arnis Slesars" <[email-masked]>, "Ilvars Turkopuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2025 10:28:25 +0200

Tähelepanu! Tegemist on välisvõrgust saabunud kirjaga.
Tundmatu saatja korral palume linke ja faile mitte avada.

Tähelepanu! Tegemist on välisvõrgust saabunud kirjaga.
Tundmatu saatja korral palume linke ja faile mitte avada.

Dear colleagues,
On behalf of the Ministry of Justice of the Republic of Latvia we are 
pleased to invite you to the Regional EJN Contact point meeting that will 
take place in Latvia, Riga on 6 of June 2025 in the premises of the Ministry 
of Justice of the Republic Latvia (Brivibas bulv.36, Riga, LV – 1536).
The Regional meeting will be organized with EJN contact points involving 
Latvian experts who on a daily basis ask for assistance and ensure judicial 
cooperation in criminal matters. Representatives from EJN Secretariat are 
also invited to the Regional meeting.
Topic of the EJN Regional meeting that the Latvian EJN contact points would 
like to discuss and elaborate is: the challenges in the application of the 
on the mutual recognition principle in Financial penalties and probation 
measures: assessing the effectiveness of decentralization in Latvia.

*

	The aim of the EJN Regional Contact Points meeting would be to discuss 
international cooperation implemented under two legal instruments, namely, 
Council Framework Decision 2005/214/JHA (February 24, 2005) on the 
application of the principle of mutual recognition to financial penalties 
(hereinafter – Framework Decision 214) and Council Framework Decision 
2008/947/JHA (November 27, 2008) on the application of the principle of 
mutual recognition to judgments and probation decisions concerning the 
supervision of probation measures and alternative sanctions (hereinafter – 
Framework Decision 947), and the decentralization of the system. In the 
current situation, with an increasing number of requests within the European 
Union, as well as analysing the speed and progress of request processing and 
enforcement, there is a need to continue discussions with experts in the 
field about the possibility of decentralizing cooperation on these matters.

For Latvia it would be valuable to have a discussion with colleagues from 
Lithuania and Estonia since in the Republic of Lithuania has a decentralized 
system for the implementation of Framework Decision 214 and Framework 
Decision 947 and the Republic of Estonia has showed an interest in 
implementing the decentralization.

*

	As well during the meeting is planned to discuss the challenges arising 
from the cooperation in the transfer of sentenced persons’ cases. The 
topicality of the questions related to the transfer of sentenced persons is 
highly relevant due to several factors:

- Challenges of Implementation. Countries may face challenges in the process 
of transferring sentenced persons, including issues of sovereignty, national 
laws, and the logistical aspects of moving prisoners between jurisdictions. 
This complexity has kept the issue relevant in policy discussions.
- Human Rights Considerations: Ensuring that the rights of the transferred 
individuals are respected, including proper prison conditions and 
rehabilitation opportunities, remains a key point of concern.
- Efficiency and Legal Frameworks: The need for efficient mechanisms to 
facilitate transfers, while respecting both international agreements and 
national legal systems, keeps the topic important in discussions on 
international criminal justice cooperation
GENERAL MEETING INFORMATION  

*

	We plan 1 (one) night accommodation (B&B) for 2 (two) participants per 
Member State (extraordinary requests, e.g., extra nights, upgraded room 
occupancy, etc… must be arranged directly with the hotel and covered by the 
participants). Information on hotel will follow.
*

	Travel expenses will be reimbursed to all participants up to 70 EUR per 
person. Information on travel reimbursement will follow.
*

	Meals will be covered for all participants;
*

	Participants are inviting to a welcome dinner, taking place on 5 June 2025 
at 18.00.

Please confirm your participation by sending us an email by 4 April 2025. 
Lists of participants can be submitted till 15 April 2025, by sending us the 
following information (name, surname, position, date of birth) to email: 
[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> , CC: 
<mailto:CC:[email-masked]>  [email-masked]).
Please do not hesitate to contact us in case you have additional questions.
We are looking forward to seeing you soon!
Greetings from Riga! 

Dace Mālniece

Senior Lawyer
The International Cooperation Department
The Ministry of Justice of the Republic of Latvia

[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>

+37167036793

Šis e-pasts un tā pielikumā esošie dokumenti var saturēt ierobežotas 
pieejamības informāciju, cita starpā fizisko personu datus, kas adresēta 
tikai tā saņēmējam un izmantojama tikai leģitīmiem mērķiem. Ja esat saņēmis 
šo e-pastu kļūdas dēļ, vai nav pamatota mērķa ierobežotas pieejamības 
informācijas, cita starpā fizisko personu datu, apstrādei, Jums nav tiesību 
izmantot vai pārsūtīt šajā e-pastā un tam pievienotajos dokumentos ietverto 
informāciju. Šādā gadījumā nekavējoties neatgriezeniski izdzēsiet šo 
e-pastu.